I’ve never heard of overnight oats until last year, when my Instagram feed was flooded with amazing breakfast photos. At that time, I got lured into the bandwagon of making an effort in food presentation. However, I can be lazy sometimes, so overnight oats is a great solution. It is a great time saver, when you’re pressed for time , but still want a delicious breakfast.
The way to make this comes down to a 1:1 ratio (more if you want it runnier) of rolled oats and the type of milk of your choice. It is then stored in the refrigerator overnight. You can add whatever toppings you like, such as fruits. The following is the way I made my own version.
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp stevia (or any sweetener of your choice)
Blueberry Sauce (optional)
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp water
*recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
Fresh or frozen blueberries and mangoes
- Mix the base ingredients in a bowl.
- Add toppings, cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight. That’s it, if you don’t want to add the blueberry sauce.
- In a pan, mix the blueberries, sugar and 1/2 cup of water over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir frequently to prevent the sauce from burning.
- Stir the cornstarch and 1 tbsp of water and pour into the sauce. Stir and simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Cool down the sauce and store in the fridge. You can add this to the oats in place of the sweetener.